Friday, April 11, 2014

Sickness

4/1/14
It has been one thing after another with this poor little boy and being sick this winter. To say we are ready for warm weather, open windows and flu season to be over with is a huge understatement.
Thankfully the weather is getting nicer and nicer but I guess we needed to send out winter with a bang and another sickness. 
This poor little boy started getting a fever but no other symptoms. No cough. No runny nose. Just a low grade fever. It continued for 3 days. During that time he would be happy and playing one minute to a lump on the floor the next. We spent lots of time snuggling and watching Mickey.
By day 4 of no sleep and waking up in a sweaty mess and throwing up. We took him in.
The nurse comes in and takes his temp and with big eyes says... "that's impressive, 104.1"
I had to say it a couple times because it didn't register right away. I had just taken his temp a half hour before and it was 101.
She gave him some Advil as he sat there completely limp on my chest. 
His doctor came in and looked him over.
Since he didn't have any other symptoms other than a fever he wanted to run some blood work to get a better idea of what was going on. They sent us to another office to get his blood drawn. Which was one of the saddest things and made me physically sick remembering back to these days with Makenzie.
How a simple blood draw for Tracker seemed like the end of the world but that being the "usual" with Makenzie just makes me sad.
As I was driving back home Trackers doctor called and said his white blood count was really high and that he figured he had some bacterial infection and wanted me to come back to his office to get Tracker a shot of antibiotics and that he would then be putting him on some meds.
When we finally got home Tracker and I laid down on the couch and he slept on me for a good 3 hours. The poor boy has exhausted after not sleeping for days.
Within the next day-ish he started to make a turn for the better and was soon bouncing off the walls and back to his happy self. I had to take him back a few days later to get some more blood work done to check his white blood count again to make sure he really was doing better, which he was.
I am hoping this really will be the end of a sick boy for a while.